Jim Shepard for Electric Literature on the subject of fiction based on non-fiction: “We need to bear in mind, as we’ve been told many times, that we’re working from, but not necessarily about, our lives.”
- On Vanity Fair’s website, take Proust’s Questionnaire and find out which celebrities you most resemble.
- Lev Grossman guest-posts for and on the National Book Critics Circle blog.
Film, a Quick Weekend Roundup
- What will we post about now that Where the Wild Things Are has finally been released?? The good reviews, for one thing.
- Unshockingly, Couples Retreat seems to be the worst.
- An Education, writer Nick Hornby’s new movie, came out this weekend and looks absolutely charming
- Christopher Buckley, Daily Beast columnist, “delivers a message from President Obama to the Nobel committee: Thanks, but no thanks.”
- Nick Cave, the “renaissance man of rock,” and former lover PJ Harvey sang an impromptu duet last night.
- An American woman has won a Nobel Prize in Economics “for her analysis of economic governance.”