Emma Straub has a bittersweet essay in the Times about cathedrals, Christmas, and burial plots. (It’s also fantastic. Seriously, go read it now.)
- When you call something “the year’s weirdest post-apocalyptic novel,” you definitely get our attention.
- SPIN has revealed its list of the 10 best music books of 2011.
- Blake Butler, in Vice, writes about Pierre Guyotat: “All this context still doesn’t really set you up for the onslaught of full-on linguistic beatdown this man has managed to cram into his words.”
- Eric Weiss, the man behind the terrific punk/hc zine Rumpshaker, interviews Carrie Whitney about the All About Friends Forever compilation.
- Speaking of zine editors: Hanging Like a Hex‘s Ryan Canavan talks about his favorite records of 2011. (The Men, Helms Alee, and Fucked Up all make appearances.)