Christopher Boucher, author of How to Keep Your Volkswagen Alive, contributes a playlist to Largehearted Boy’s ongoing series.
- Douglas Wolk on The Mekons’ latest: “The ideas that shape their songs, and the means by which they create them, are the important part; the songs themselves are basically just documentation.”
- Edward Champion revisits Jack London’s The Call of the Wild.
- This weekend in Brighton Beach: the first ArtOnBrighton festival.
- Today in critical takedowns: David Brothers, Graeme McMillan, and Spencer Ackerman each offer thoughts on Frank Miller’s latest graphic novel. (Which sounds appalling.)
- Hey, there’s a new Tim Hecker EP coming out.